Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Hymn to my glorious patron saint*



Can I sing you, Brother Martin,
saint whose hands know work, like mine?
Would that we could sit together,
tell our cuentos, sip some wine.

Soon I'll close the church till morning.
Please guide me walking home alone.
Not a safe place for a woman.
Justice this old world postpones.

Speaking to our sweeping rhythms,
let us plot for those in need.
Can't you scare these stubborn faithful,
with your powers intercede?

Bread you gave to those in hunger,
kindness to the child alone,
held the trembling hand that suffered,
kindness from a man disowned.

Is it true when you were sweeping,
cats and dogs would come to chat,
telepathically you'd answer,
query disbelieving rats?

Brother Broom, with just a handshake,
you could cure a soul in pain.
Oh, I wish that you could touch me,
make these old joints fresh again.

Would that you had time to teach me
bilocation, such a trick,
not that I deserve the honor
and pleading seems impolitic.

You liked flying and liked gardens,
so practice aerial delights.
Come see roses, tulips, daisies.
Can't I whet your appetite?

Ay, that I had seen the shining,
from your oratorio,
in your habit, man so prayerful,
that your very self would glow.

How we come, the dark-skinned faithful,
comforted to see you here,
able to confide our sorrows
to a black man's willing ear.

Your corrido I must finish
for priests frown at such casual songs,
frowning is their special talent,
but still, protect them all night long.

Help me listen to my garden,
cease wrinkled judgments based on skin,
our colored sacks like bulbs or seeds
that hold our fragrant selves within.

From the excellent book, 'Aunt Carmen's Book of Practical Saints', by Pat Mora.

* That's Martin
de Porres...ahem!


Biretta-tip to Archistrategos at Ecce Ego, Quia Vocasi Me for posting this, and graciously allowing me to repost it here.

St. Martin's Feast Day: November 3; November 5 or so, in Piqua...

10 comments:

beez said...

I was just coming here to ask why you hadn't changed the background to Liturgical Purple when, voila! Liturgical Purple.

I can PROMISE you that I will be checking in on Gaudate Sunday to see Rose. :)

Wolfie said...

My mom wanted to name me Joshua or Nicholas, but a few weeks before i was born, my parents saw a spanish movie about St. Martin de Porres and my dad really liked the name, so I was named Martin.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Yay! said the fox to the wolf...

Wolfie said...

i wish i knew the name of the movie; parents dont remember it either.

btw, father, i hope you dont mind, i posted one of your homilies on my blog a couple of weeks ago. I'm not up to par on blog etiquette, but i did link it back to you.

i read about a half dozen priests blogs, and your homilies are outstanding. have you published?

Fr Martin Fox said...

Wolf:

Thanks!

This is the only publishing I do.

Rachel said...

"for priests frown at such casual songs,
frowning is their special talent,
but still, protect them all night long."

I don't suppose I'd enjoy being frowned at, and yet I feel a sort of longing when I read this line from a time when priests apparently had no problem expressing disapproval. I think of some vague and crowd-pleasing sermons I've heard; it would have been nice if they'd dropped in a "Contraception? I FROWN on that!" in the middle. But in any case, yes, I pray for priests to be protected all night long. :)

Anonymous said...

wwolf:

The question about a movie about St. Martin de Porres came up last year. this is what I came up with.

Anonymous said...

Update on previous note of mine:

That link to Father's site last year works fine, but one of the links THERE is outdated. If you want to go to the all-in-Spanish Laguna Films Web site, here is the page for TEARS OF ST. MARTIN DE PORRES.

Anonymous said...

my absolutely favourite saint too Fr. My nan had a great devotion to him 7 i've passed it on to my children..i never failed an examination..even a prayer to pass your driving test..i passed first time..St Martin De Porres Pray for Us.

Anonymous said...

RE: Color. I am glad to know nothing is wrong with my monitor! Happy Advent!