Saturday, July 27, 2019

Project 88: Progress so far...

First, I'm a little frustrated that I can't show you the spiffy map I laboriously created, showing all 63 counties I've visited or passed through. I have it as a PDF, and I can't figure out how to upload that to Blogger. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know in the comments.

At any rate, I thought it would be fun to have pictures representing at least some of the counties, and that means backtracking to the counties visited long ago. Let's start here:


That's a Google Map of Clifton, a neighborhood in the city of Cincinnati. I was born in Cincinnati and this is where I grew up. If you zoom in, you will see the parish I went to, my elementary school, Skyline, Burnet Woods Park, and lots more. A lot has changed since those days, but a lot is the same. So there's Hamilton County.

Just north of Hamilton is Butler County, another place I've visited so many times I can't count. As a kid we'd go up to LeSourdsville Lake Amusement Park, which is now gone.  I'm going to be down that way on Monday, and I hope to stop here: Jungle Jim's is not just a store, not just an "international market," it is an experience and maybe my favorite place in Butler County.

East of Hamilton is Clermont County. I remember driving way, way, way out to Clermont when my sister lived there with her first two children. It seemed to be all country then. Next to the east is Brown County. I really can't remember visiting, but I'm thinking I'd have to have; maybe I'm wrong, but it's my project, so there.

I'm on solid ground when it comes to Warren County, if only because I've done this. I'd like to go back, even though I know I'll get beat up. Montgomery County is where Dayton is, lots of activity there; plus I was happy to be assigned to St. Albert the Great Parish, as a new priest, for two years. Here's St. Albert:


To the east of Montgomery is Greene County, where I've visited many times, including offering Mass at St. Brigid's Parish in Xenia. You may recall that Xenia was devastated by a 1974 tornado; that included destroying the original St. Brigid Church, which looked like this:


North of Greene is Clark County. Both named for Revolutionary War heroes, by the way. My sister and her husband live here, and my dad spent his last few years staying with them. Lots of people go to Yellow Springs -- a kind of hippie hangout -- where you'll find Young's Dairy.

West of Montgomery is Preble County, (around here we pronounce it "PREH-ble," rhyming with "rebel") which I had marked on my calendar as one I've only driven through. I couldn't remember any visits, but then I recalled our family going to Hueston Woods. When I drive back from Cincinnati on Monday, I'll make a point to stop and see something more there. And if you didn't click through to the Wikipedia article, you may not know Edward Preble is yet another Revolutionary War hero; a naval officer.

Well, just that quick I've ticked off nine counties, only 79 to go.

No comments: