Sunday, June 25, 2023

Fear or Jesus (Sunday homily)

 Sometimes I wonder how many people gathered around our Lord Jesus 

were really listening to everything he said.


I’m not naïve; I realize not everyone is always listening to what I say!


That’s not a criticism; parents have children to watch over. 

People come to Mass after not much sleep, or after a long day’s work.

It would have been the same way when Jesus stood up to speak.


So, now, let me try to focus your attention 

on three words in the Gospel – they came and went in an instant.


Jesus said: “Fear no one.” Fear no one.


Notice, this is not a promise that nothing bad will ever happen.

That no one will ever bully or even injure us, as befell Jeremiah.


What Jesus is saying is that, 

when you and I are clear about who he is, and who we are to him, 

and what he has prepared for us, then…


There truly is nothing and no one to fear.


Someone might say, aren’t we supposed to “fear” God?

Yes, but not in the sense Jesus means here.


“Fear of God” means recognizing the awe and reverence God deserves. 

Growing up, I “feared” my dad; not in the sense that I cringed or hid.

Rather, in the sense that I understood his authority and power, 

and I did not want to offend him or disrespect him.


So in the case of Jesus himself. 

He makes himself familiar to us; yet at the same time, 

it is entirely right to remember that, in becoming our brother, 

he remains our Lord and God.


Alternately, someone might say, shouldn’t we fear the devil?


No, not “fear.” Take him seriously as our enemy? Absolutely. 

There are spiritual powers seeking my destruction and yours,

and it is foolish to dismiss that. Jesus takes the devil seriously.

People mess around with these spiritual forces to their great sorrow.


Our baptism is our perfect safeguard, 

because it brings the Holy Trinity to dwell in us, 

and we to dwell in the Trinity. When we stay where Jesus put us:

Nothing to fear.


And if we do stray, a good confession brings us back to perfect safety.


After that, what else would we fear? 

We all experience fear: of sickness, or death, or financial peril, 

or someone we love getting into a bad spot. The list is endless.


Yet Jesus says, scratch it all off your list.

When you and I have prayed, and offered what help we can, 

and made what decisions or changes we can make, what else is there?


What good does fear or anxiety do at that point?


I’ve been in an airplane when it went thumpy-thumpy. Not pleasant!

What did I do? I prayed a good of contrition. Believe me, I meant it!

I looked around to check out the situation. 

One time a lady nearby was freaking out, scaring her kids.

I said to her, “Ma’am, that’s not helping.” She settled down.


Obviously we landed safely. But if not?


Then, for those who were friends of God, we’d still have landed safely!

If not on the runway, then into the hand of our Creator.


No one wants to think of war or cancer or any other crisis as a gift.


I knew a priest who lived seven years with terminal cancer.

He had the gift – and he gave us around him the gift – of no illusions. 

That enabled him to be ready for eternity, 

and he was more ready for each day in this life as well.


The poor people in Ukraine aren’t under any illusions 

about what truly is permanent, what they can control, 

what really matters.


You and I can think of what we have – or could have – as an entitlement. 

Then we can be worked up with envy for others, 

and bitter when things slip through our fingers, as they inevitably will. 


Or: realize everything is a gift. You and I have this moment. 

We have Jesus Christ and everything that is his.

Nothing else is promised. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Father. This is just what I needed at exactly the right time.