Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Gift Cards are BAD

All right, I over-simplified the matter in the headline; and no, I am not making an ontological statement. But I do intend to warn people off of gift cards; here goes.

Today, I dove into my wallet to dig out a gift card. I've had it over a year, and I knew there was still some value on it. It is for a restaurant about six miles away; a kind person up north gave it to me, before leaving Shelby County; she guessed at it being close by. Not so much, actually.

When I picked up my wings, I discovered, after paying for the wings, I still had $8 left (I'd been here about 4 times); so the clerk got a nice tip. The card is empty! Free at last!

When I got back and tucked into my wings, I remembered why that card lingered in my pocket; I don't love the food at this place. Sure, I could have just tossed the card away, but that seemed so wasteful. So, instead, I bought and ate food I don't love. No, not the end of the world: but is could that actually be what the kind person who gave me the gift card wanted?

This is an ongoing project of mine: using up or giving away gift cards. I have several left in my wallet, for places I really don't patronize, or at least, rarely. I will probably give these away, which is fine, but honestly, I'm just making my problem someone else's.

I don't want to sound ungracious. I am very grateful for the kindness of so many people, and I always write a thank you letter. My Christmas thank yous finally went out, this year, in May if memory serves. No matter how busy I am, I send a thank you...eventually.

But I have to ask: why in the world do people think this is a good idea?

If you say, well, people want you to enjoy a good meal, or, they know you like such-and-such, my follow-up question is, where did people get the idea that the only (or even best) way to enable that, is with a gift card? 

What's wrong with cash?

Consider this: who actually benefits from you purchasing a gift card? 

- Not you.

- Not the intended recipient.

- Not society.

Who?

Now, if these were sold for some discount off the face value, I could see it: pay $95 for a $100 gift card. How often does this happen? I honestly don't know, because I never buy these things.

If there's no discount, I ask again:

What's so terrible about cash?

5 comments:

rcg said...

What about the Visa cash cards? I like them to send by mail.

mandamum said...

This is an interesting and timely essay because a small group of us just got the suggestion to give our priest gift cards. He is part of an order (his order serves our parish), and we were told that the Mass stipend goes back to the order but he gets to keep gift cards - ? We are in the process of conducting research on what card would serve him best. So perhaps "what's wrong with cash" is that someone else might have a claim on it, and the intended recipient might not get to use it? I would appreciate your thoughts.

But personally, I am with you - aside from grocery store gift cards to the store I shop weekly (yay, jackpot! And done in 7 days or less!), I prefer cash to the extra job of overseeing thoughtfully-given cards.

Fr Martin Fox said...

RCG:

With the Visa or Mastercard "cash" or gift cards, I notice a couple of things:

1) You, the buyer, have to pay several dollars for it, on top of the face value.
2) Sometimes there are difficulties in using them, based on my own experience and that of others.

If I may suggest: send a check.

Mandamum:

I can't speak about how religious orders work in this regard, as it has to do with the observance of poverty. Diocesan priests (which I am) do not take a vow of poverty. So, for example, I don't know if cash given to a member of an order is treated differently from a gift card. That's a question for the order, or the priest or brother or sister who belongs to it, to whom you wish to give a gift.

mandamum said...

Thx!

Anonymous said...

Thx, Fr Fox. Being the cheapskate that I am, I send cash cards that paybacks on points for other purchases. 😞 So I’m not really paying as much as sharing my windfall. But a cheque is a good idea.