Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Triduum begins...

The day started with a phone call...where's the Eucharist?

Last night, I transferred the Blessed Sacrament from the tabernacle of St. Boniface, to the chapel, where we have perpetual exposition. The rubrics say to do it sometime before the evening Mass of Holy Thursday, so I do it following the Wednesday evening Mass, insofar as the people can take part if they wish--but we do it simply.

I got into the office, and dealt with matters there; I still had one more person to recruit to have his feet washed, and that was taken care of. Then I ran over to church, to get chairs set up, and get everything else in order. Then a quick run to the wine shop for beer and wine for dinner.

Every Holy Thursday, I invite priests from the area for prayer and dinner, and we had lamb, ham, potatoes, green beans Piqua-style, rolls, butter, salad and dessert. The parishioners who help me with this were wonderful; they took some leftovers home, including some bottles of wine.

The priests all have to leave around 5 of course, for their own Masses; so I got a little rest before heading back to St. Boniface to rehearse things with the servers. We had more experienced servers, so all went well. They handled all the special parts just fine. We had incense throughout, of course, including at the elevations.

Father Tom preached, so I was grateful for that; I focused on offering the Mass. I confess it is a little spine-tingling to offer this Mass, thinking of that evening so long ago, yet so fresh in our minds.

The procession went well, and many came along to pray in the chapel afterward. After stripping church, I headed home for a little rest.

Then--a phone call. It was the police! "There's are lights going on and off in your school, the police think someone may be in there." So I shot over there, and we went in...it was a just a bulb that was flickering, crisis averted! "Guess this won't make 'Cops!'" The officers said they wished their whole night could go like that. I seconded that wish for them.

So, now I'm back after that. Tomorrow is a busy day, confessions in the morning, then run over to St. Boniface to bring the Eucharist, consecrated tonight, for the Good Friday liturgy, then our version of the "tres ore," with stations, a talk on the Seven Last Words, then the solemn liturgy, then we begin the Divine Mercy Novena. Then I take the Holy Eucharist back to St. Boniface, for the evening liturgy there, which the vicar will lead. He, too, has confessions beforehand.

2 comments:

Rich Leonardi said...

Every Holy Thursday, I invite priests from the area for prayer and dinner, and we had lamb, ham, potatoes, green beans Piqua-style, rolls, butter, salad and dessert. The parishioners who help me with this were wonderful; they took some leftovers home, including some bottles of wine.

What a wonderful idea and gesture. I know that a similar dinner gathering takes place at the cathedral rectory downtown. FWIW, I think one of the reasons Italians are such sacramental people is because so much of our lives revolve around food; I'm preparing a roasted lamb for tonight's vigil dinner as I type this comment. 'Must run ...

Fr Martin Fox said...

Thanks Rich.

I should add that the tradition of the Holy Thursday dinner began under one of my predecessors, which I revived after a few years' lapse.

Alas, in the days of pastors being responsible for two and three parishes, fewer priests have time to come.