Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Three Masses a day is not a good idea

There's a reason Canon Law calls for priests normally to offer only one Mass daily, a second if necessary; and on Sundays, two, with a third by exception. It's to keep the Holy Mass from becoming an assembly-line operation for the priest.

While I have one Mass most days, on Wednesdays, I offer two: an Extraordinary Form Mass at 5:45 am, and the Ordinary Form Mass at 8:15 am. Today, however, we had a funeral at 11:30 am.

So it's been a busy day, and more to come.

Here's the rest of my day...In between the first two, I had breakfast, and read the news and prayed my office. Back here around 9 am, I did some paperwork and cleaned up my email inbox. That plus some other matters kept me busy till the funeral. I was back around 1 pm and after a bowl of soup, I did some more paperwork -- opening mail and signing letters -- and also started lining up some priests to cover some confessions and Mass in December and January. I still have some more days to cover, but I made progress.

At 6:30 pm I have a rehearsal with the 10th graders being confirmed; then I will hear their confessions till 8 pm; then I have a rehearsal with the servers for confirmation. Then my day will finish.

It's all good; but, yes, I'm a bit tired.


ndspinelli said...

The Italian tradition of espresso after lunch and dinner might help. I can't do it, I'd be up until 3am.

When I was running my own biz I worked 80 hour weeks, every week. A long day like this is OK, but if every day is like that, you need to reassess.

rcg said...

I hope my sincere gratitude for you and all priests who work so hard at least lifts your spirits if not your chasuble. . ;-)

Fr Martin Fox said...


I would love to have coffee, but like you, I have had to give up caffeine. (Although I haven't found iced-tea or diet Coke messing me up. Yet.)

RCG -- thanks! My spirits are good; it's just my brain that's a little fried.

rcg said...

Ooo! Bet it goes good with avocado!!!

Jennifer said...

You are doing the Lord's work, Fr. Fox. Hope you had a nice Martinstag the other day! :)

ndspinelli said...

Dealers @ the crap tables say "You're doing the Lord's work" when you make a bet for them, or just give them a tip. They prefer you make a bet for them. Always gamble sensibly, sober and within your means.

Michael Haz said...


Here is a link to a YouTube video about my home parish, St. Stanislaus in Milwaukee.

The video describes the restoration and preservation of an historic building, and the growth of the parish.

I hope you enjoy it!

Michael Haz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Haz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Haz said...

My comment appeared thrice, I deleted it twice.