Saturday, March 14, 2015

Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast

Last night the local Catholic War Veterans had a fish fry. I am sorry I couldn't go, but without realizing that was this week, I defrosted some Perch I'd bought weeks ago.

I don't recall ever cooking Perch. I don't know what a Perch looks like. Wait; according to the Almighty Internet, it looks like this:


But what I got out of the fridge looked like this:

These aren't the fillets I cooked; this is a stock photo.
I found a recipe online that looked easy, something like this: dredge the fillets in flour, mixed with pepper, red pepper and salt -- I threw in some garlic and parsley -- and then cook that in some butter that is browned first. I had that with some green beans I found in the freezer, and a couple of gold potatoes I steamed up in the micro. Butter and lemon over everything, pretty much. White wine would have been nice, but this is Lent.

It wasn't bad, but I wanted more salt, pepper and garlic.

As I'd cooked up a pound of fish, I had a good bit left over today. What do you do with leftover fried fish?

How about an omelette?

So I took a couple of the fillets and broke them up, and put them into a frying pan with some melted butter and a little Olive Oil. (I add the oil both to keep the butter from burning, and to give a little different flavor.) Meanwhile I stirred up some eggs with some pepper, salt, garlic and parsley -- sometimes I add Tarragon to my omelettes, but not this time -- and then poured all that over the fish. I thought about cheese, but decided to omit it.

Spiffy in a jiffy!

So how was it?

It didn't turn out of the pan so well (that's why I didn't take a picture, sorry), but it tasted pretty good. I actually liked the Perch better this morning than last night. At any rate, I used some leftovers, which is always good.

Now I really must whip up a homily!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Fr., What, no loaves to go with the fish? Oh I guess that would have given you too many leftovers 😃. Just kidding. I'm looking forward to your homily. Take care & love, Eileen

Jennifer said...

I love cold fish for breakfast. Especially with German Kräutersauce!

And if you make corned beef, it goes well with Sauerkraut rather than plain cabbage.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Jennifer:

Well, this wasn't cold fish; I heated it up before adding the eggs.

Jennifer said...

Yes, Father. I know that you fried it up in an omlette. But leftover fish is also good cold, for breakfast. Even my kids like it!