Sunday, April 05, 2020

Holy Week in Purgatory (Sunday homily)

The homily for Palm Sunday must always be brief, including this year, 
because right after this, the seminarians and I will take 
the Holy Eucharist over to St. Remy Hall, 
and we will all be able to adore our Lord Jesus 
outside from about 8 am to Noon, as we’ve done the past two Sundays.

As you know by now, this will continue at least until May 3; 
so we’ll continue to have exposition each Sunday at St. Remy Hall. 
It’s going to be rainy today, but you can stay in your car.

I can only imagine how difficult these days are for you at home. 
On one hand, I have nothing to complain about: I feel very healthy, 
and I have everything I need. And yet, I miss being with you. 

Confessions continue at all the regular times, 
and during Holy Week, we will have extra times as follows: 
Tuesday, 7-9 pm; Wednesday, 3-4 pm; 5:45-6:15 pm and 7-8 pm; 
Thursday, 5:30-6:30 pm; Good Friday, 11:30-12:30 and 3-4 pm; 
Holy Saturday, 9-10:30 am and 3:30-5 pm. 

I am hearing confessions in the room behind the Mary statue. 
And if anyone needs me to come visit, please call and let me know.

I emphasize confession for two reasons. 
First, obviously, in a time of greater danger, 
why wouldn’t each of us want to be in a state of grace?
And second, a good confession can only help each of us 
work together better, being more patient and generous.

We will continue to have Mass every day, broadcast at least 
on Facebook and if possible on YouTube. We’ll be back in church on Thursday evening. 

In other words, you and I are trying to carry on as best we can.

When I say that some Masses will be in church, 
Even so, these are not open to the public; 
for those hours, the doors will be shut.
I say that with the greatest sadness 
and I beg you to forgive me for that, 
but it’s what we must do right now. I’m so very sorry. 

Holy Week is always about loss and sorrow, 
and what you and I are facing now 
is a Holy Week that began several weeks ago, 
and looks to extend beyond Easter Sunday. 

But no matter how alarming things may be, 
nothing changes the fact that the path we tread 
has been walked ahead of us by Jesus, 
and there is nothing you and I will face alone! 

This year Good Friday is going to be amped way up in intensity, 
but that only helps us realize more what the first Good Friday was like. 
In short, you and I are carrying the Cross with Jesus!
Like Simon of Cyrene, we weren’t looking for this, but here we are.

Never forget: we are walking with Jesus! 
What is there to be afraid of?

2 comments:

rcg said...

Wise advice: Go To Confession!!

Watched the Mass on your YouTube channel this morning. What a beautiful church! You and your servers an deacon are very reverent. Everything else flows from that. Thank you for your Mass for me. I know it is for us, but I must confess my own appreciation.

Anonymous said...

His Will be done!