Thursday, June 29, 2006

Habeo Internetum

I arrived home last night around 6:30, and figured I'd get caught up on email; only no Internet at home. I checked the modem -- it had but one light showing, the bottom one. I unplugged and replugged it; it would light up properly, then as I sat down, all the lights would go out again, except for the bottom one. "Oh no," I thought; "a storm fried my modem while I was away."

So, this morning, I called the cable company. The tech asked, "which light is it?" Now in daylight, I got down on the floor, and read it: "standby." "Oh, that's easy," she said--there's a button on top--press that button." Everything light up properly! Turns out "standby" is there if I want to shut down access, or something like that. "Someone must have hit that button accidentally." (Probably me!)

Maybe I really have killed too many brain cells drinking beer all these years...

6 comments:

Ellen said...

No, at our age, these things are senior moments.

Anonymous said...

And speaking of beer, your favorites?

Fr Martin Fox said...

Deacon:

I have two ways to answer that question, they follow herewith:

Substantive answer:

I like lots of beers, I always enjoy trying a new one. I consider fruit-flavored beer a violation of natural law and detest the addition of any fruit slices to my beer.

I like full-bodied, tasty beers, although as the memory of my 40th birthday fades, I have to watch my carbs, so I do drink light beer most of the time. My light beer of choice is Miller Light, unless I simply want alcoholic water, in which case I have Coors Light.

But for really good beer, I favor:
* Sam Adams
* Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

When it's really hot):
* Liberty Ale
--And during the Octaves of Christmas and Easter, I get:
* Anchor Steam

Entertaining answer:

I have three favorite beers...

1. Free beer,
2. Cold beer, and
3. Another beer!

Anonymous said...

I like your entertaining answers. They are my favorites as well.

I haven't tried most on your list. I will put them on my agenda... Thanks.

Chucko said...

Heheh... good answers on the beers Fr. Fox. I've not been a big Sam Adams fan historically, but having finally shed the college "drink as much as humanly possible" mentality, a more filling beer is generally more satisfying to me. Miller Light is a good standard. Killians is great from the tap, so when I go out I'll get that or Guinness which would have to be my favorite.

Anyway, the storm the other day DID fry my modem, fortunately I had a backup from previous DSL installations (having moved several times) and I installed that one instead. Turned out to be a blessing in surprise, as my connection is actually MUCH faster now.

I'm heading up to the lake this weekend, maybe I'll drop in for Mass!

Fr Martin Fox said...

Chucko:

You're welcome.

I will be having Mass at St. Mary's at 5, and noon, and at St. Boniface at 10:30, and preaching at St. Mary's at 9.