Monday, June 26, 2006

Will the pig live or die?

Well, I'm still in the D.C. area; after finishing up the colloquium at Catholic University, with a marvelous Mass at the Franciscan Monastery, I drove one of the participants over to Reagan National Airport, then hung out in northern Virginia; I'm staying with some priests here till Wednesday morning.

Free hotspots are hard to find here; as it is, last night, I was at what must be the only place in NoVa where I couldn't get a cell phone signal! So I'm at La Madaleine in Bailey's Crossroads, using a tmobile "day pass." By the way, La Madaleine is, in my opinion, the best place for breakfast; unless you must have either pancakes, biscuits or huevos rancheros; because you can get either very good breads and pastries, or a good "American breakfast": scrambled eggs, bacon, and a croissant(!). The coffee is very good, and the cup is bottomless; plus they put out free bread, butter and jam! Also, here at Bailey's Crossroads, there is a Border's Books next store (that's where the tmobile signal is coming from, actually). In nice weather, one can sit outside.

So anyway, I'm here for a few more days, to catch up with some friends, then back home.

I checked my "sitemeter" to see what traffic has been like here the past few days; apparently, I'm boring you.

So I have a surefire gimmick--a reader survey! (But a low-tech one; I have no idea how to set up something fancy.)

You are asked to make a life-or-death decision.

Scroll down the page--do you see the pig in the box below?

I put that on my web page maybe a month or so ago, after my youth minister showed me the source of such "pets." Well, I'm bored with "Cincinnatus," and perhaps you are too...

So, you decide: shall the pig live or die?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father I worry - maybe you should extend the vacation a few more days!?! :)

Kill the pig - bacon is always good!

Anonymous said...

ACK! Poor little piggy! ;o)

Actually, unfortunately, Cincinnatus is *not* at the bottom of your sidebar, but rather at the very top of it ... and although he's a real cutie, you're cuter, and I would rather see you, than him! *grin!*

Anonymous said...

I second moof's point, in my browser Cincinnatus is right over your picture and the stuff about who you are.

The thing about such pop-up, shockwave, etc. technology is that its intrusive. People wonder if they are being tracked or monitized (I realize you wouldn't do such a thing). For the most part cute is good for a day or two, then it gets to be un-cute.

I'm in the mood for a St. John's bonfire and some good kielbasa - off the pig.

Anonymous said...

I think the pig is cute....and you're not boring, Father. It's just summertime. I think most people's sites are experiencing a slowdown...I know mine is too. Of course, that might not be saying too much...
Have a blessed day!!

Anonymous said...

The pig is at the bottom when I view it...

Ellen said...

Well, I check every day to see what new adventures you have been up to on your trip. Although I must admit, the goings on outside of your conference have been of more interest to me than the conference. I am not a big music person, I torture those around me during mass with my drone voice, and definitely not the Latin stuff. I don't mind the occasional Latin hymn, but it brings back too many bad memories of Latin I in school! mBut that's just me.

I hope the rest of your time off is good and restful for you. Keep posting what you are doing - I am getting good travel tips!

Anonymous said...

My browser shows the pig at the bottom, so I never saw it until today.

But, give me bacon and a good pork roast any day of the week.

Hope that you are enjoying your vacation. (your site isn't the only one that is slow, a Catholic community that I help manage is also very slow right now.)

Anonymous said...

So Father - are you floating away? Doing the back stroke? My friends in Stafford (30 miles south of DC on I95) say that they have been deluged for 2+ days.

Anonymous said...

Depends ... do I get a pork roast out of it? Or at least a bacon sandwich?

Deacon Jim said...

Since I just got back from my own summer break out in the Iowa countryside and twice got stuck on the road behind hog trucks, my vote is easy. The pig goes.

Mary Martha said...

Kill the pig.

When I view your site I see the pig at the upper right... and I would rather see you!

Also, it makes your page hang a bit when loading which is never a good thing.

Though I have to say he is cute!

Gerald Augustinus said...

It seems the bathed pig returns to rolling in the mire everytime :)

Anonymous said...

I've got the pig at the top, too. And I find him annoying. If Firefox would put him properly at the bottom where he belongs, I'd say keep him.

Gregaria said...

I like him, but he *is* over your picture... so I won't complain if he goes :)

Ellen said...

The pig is at the bottom for me. Although I used to collect pigs, I say the pig should go! You don't need hokey pictures, just continue your blogging!

Anonymous said...

Father: I'm not hungry, blessed be, so the hog can stay. Seriously, keep up the Lord's work and have confidence that we are indeed with you. I use an RSS feed; perhaps this doesn't register on your site meter.