Monday, June 19, 2006

Oh I forgot about Fr. Bill!

I really shouldn't try to do posts on two topics; this isn't the first time I got all caught up in the first, and forgot about the second!

After seeing the movie, I came back to where I'm staying, to join the two priests here for dinner. Father Bill was celebrating 45 years a priest! So he invited me, and the other priest, out to dinner. We went to a place called "Mama Rosa's," and I have to say it was the best Vitella Franchese I've had in a while. I was skeptical when it came with mushrooms--I thought, oh no, not Marsala!--but no, it was just what I'd expected, and very good.

Fathers Bill and Jerry and I had a very enjoyable evening. They were intrigued that I had worked in politics, and we talked about my parish, and their work--they belong to an order, and aren't parish priests--and I got a kick out of being "the young guy"--they each had about 30 years on me! They'd spent many years in missionary work, and told me about that.

Fr. Bill, despite the occasion, didn't care to have any wine, but he did have dessert; the waitress brought him a double slice of carrot cake! (And he loved it!) I ordered something called "Creamsicle cake," and was a little doubtful it would be as good as billed, but it was! A triumph of hope over experience!

Now you see why I was going to tack this on to the X-Men review; it isn't that good a story!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creamsickle cake ... wow! I can't imagine what that would be like. As a kid, I always loved those ice cream bars by the same name ... ;o)

Fr Martin Fox said...

Moof:

It was orange cake, with white icing, the combination of which tasted as billed: very good!