Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Blogger Bash: worth a trip to Worthington

Driving from Piqua to Worthington, Ohio was no great trick--U.S. 36 to S.R. 29, and then it's a straight shot along S.R. 161 ("the 161," as they say in California). Who knew Plain City even existed, let alone how nice it is? That was me whizzing through -- twice -- last night. Hope the cows have calmed down.

It was very nice meeting Mr. & Mrs. Darwin. Mrs. Darwin brought along her brother, who is a seminarian -- for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati! -- and who didn't talk as much as the rest of us, meaning he could eat more wings and potato skins. Smart guy! (I'm told he picked the location; it had great food and beer, no surprise a seminarian knew about it.)

The Darwins are every bit as charming as you find them on their website, DarwinCatholic, linked at your right. Both young. I am pretty sure I have some clothes older than they are, but I didn't say that to them. They have three children, what a nice start! We chatted about any number of things, particularly movies and a bit of theology, and a bit of politics. It was fun hearing about "the cockroach who destroyed their bed"; although the actual causation of that incident is not well expressed by that title...

Jay Anderson was slated to join us, but there was something about a poker game...Oh, wait, I wasn't supposed to say that publicly! I hope his wife doesn't see this; I heard she never reads anything online.

But if he had shown up, I'm sure I could have described him as follows. He happens to look just like his picture (I guess I don't, due to needing a haircut, and a few years' service in the parish, and all the free eats that go with, flabbing my appearance), and has quite a few good stories. I won't tell them, because you might meet him someday, and who knows? He may only have that one set of stories, and I don't want to make things difficult for him...

He has quite a bit to say about the Supreme Court, and the Darwins, are terribly polite and made a good show of being interested in Justice Ginsburg's reputed shoe size.

The political discussion was insightful--particularly explaining the real reason Jay was hot to move to a new jurisdiction. Something about elections and "walking around money." But I hear Columbia, Virginia has the best Anti-Terror Nuke Suppression Team in the country, thanks to clever applications with the Homeland Security Administration.

Oh, wait--I wasn't supposed to say anything about that, either.

Of course, all this is speculation, because Jay didn't actually show up--something about the Badda Bing Club a little further down U.S. 23...

4 comments:

Pro Ecclesia said...

I'm thinking this is your rather polite way of saying that, if I had bothered to show up for last evening's engagement, all y'all would have had to do is get a couple of Smithwick's in me and I won't shut up.

;-)

Fr Martin Fox said...

Oh no -- I am a flapjaw, and I held my own...

Anonymous said...

Jay, at least Father didn't accuse you of starting a riot

Anonymous said...

"Mrs. Darwin brought along her brother, who is a seminarian -- for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati! ... I'm told he picked the location; it had great food and beer, no surprise a seminarian knew about it." -- Father Fox

This may be a dumb question, but in addition to their studies, may seminarians work at jobs for which they paid?