Saturday, February 24, 2007

Liturgy question-box: Cope for Stations? Ceremony for Holy Thursday?

This is the sort of question I suspect I might know rather easily, if I took the time to dig it out; but alas, there are some questions one never gets around to investigating. This is one, for me.

Does a cleric wear a cope leading Stations? If so, what color?

Here's another question, a little more significant.

On Holy Thursday evening, the Mass of the Lord's Supper begins with the tabernacle empty; the Blessed Sacrament is removed, beforehand, to another, suitable location.

Question: has anyone a recommendation on the proper ceremony -- if any -- for the actual removal?

Last year, after a Wednesday evening Mass, I invited parishioners to join me in a low-key but reverent procession to our chapel, where the Eucharist would be reserved. This year, I plan to do the same at one parish. At the other, the place of reservation (as in many parishes) is a tabernacle in the sacristy. I was planning to have prayer -- None (mid-afternoon prayer) with some priests for dinner, and I thought about taking the Blessed Sacrament to the sacristy after that. But again, I don't know of any ceremony or ritual for this.

Any references to recommend?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father - just me here.
When I was little, the priest usually wore a cassock and surplice with a stole for stations.

As for the transference of the Eucharist, a cope and hummeril veil was worn, the Pange Lingua was sung, or the transference was done silently, with lighted candles, and reposed in the tabernacle in the sacristry. In the monastery it was always done in silence, with a brief period of adoration.

Hopefully, an expert will comment.

There must be rubrics however, from the old ritual.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Sharon:

The first answer is very helpful, and I will have to get Elliot's "ceremonies" -- i have the other book already, and use it often.

If I may ask, are you describing the transfer that happens before the Holy Thursday Mass? Or after? My question concerned before...