Sunday, March 06, 2022

The alarm clock (Sunday homily)

 In my first assignment as a priest, the other priest with me 

would often refer to this as the “baptismal” season of Lent. 

At first, I found this confusing, 

but as I listened to him and reflected on his point, I understood.


Lent is about baptism: what does that mean?


Well, that’s how Lent originated. In the beginning of Christianity, 

people would prepare very seriously for their baptism, 

for their confirmation 

and for the first reception of the Body and Blood of Jesus.


They would prepare for months or years – 

and the last six weeks would be especially intense. 

They would fast every single day.


After all, they were entering an entirely new life. 

They would receive a new name. 

And they knew they might lose their life; they might be martyred.


For pretty much all of us, of course, we’ve already been baptized, 

and that happened when we were a few months old. 

No drama, no peril; we may have literally slept through our baptism.


For us, Lent is our invitation to go back and make it all personal. 

That’s what the sacrament of confession is all about.

We go back to the font of baptism.




Now, for our kids in 2nd grade, preparing for your First Communion?

For our older kids, maybe in your teenage years, 

and you’re starting to put it all together? 


I’m talking to YOU right now.

Sometimes there isn’t any special moment; 

we just sort of grow into our own faith. 


But there can come a moment, when the lights go on; 

it all comes together, and you realize:

This isn’t about my parents or my family, but it’s ME:

It’s MY relationship with God. Who is Jesus TO ME?


For me, it was when I was 19, in my first year of college.

I had an encounter with our Lord, very personal, very intense.

It’s hard to describe, but I knew, down to my bones, 

that he was calling me to follow him. 

That moment changed everything.


Later I figured out that in that moment, 

the reality of my baptism, and my confirmation, came alive.

I woke up.


To be clear, that’s not when I heard the call to be a priest; 

that was when I heard the invitation to be a disciple.


This is what Lent is for: to wake us up.

Right now, I’m the alarm clock: RING, RING, RING!!!



Some here are already awake. You’re out of bed, getting to it.

So maybe you’re trying to turn me off! That’s OK.


The alarm is ringing for those who haven’t woken up yet.

Or think of this as the alarm on your phone, reminding you of a task.


Just now, I spoke to the kids; so, let me say something 

to those at the other end of the journey.


As you and I get older, we get set in our ways.

I’m 60 and it’s true for me. 

You start saying, “No, not trying that.”

I used to go camping, sleep on the ground – but now, no!


The danger is when that mindset comes into your spiritual life:

“Nah, I don’t need that! That’s for somebody else!”


Once again, I’m your alarm clock.

Jesus is speaking to every single one of us when he says, CHANGE.

And if you say, “Well, I don’t know how!”

Jesus does! Ask him. Open your heart.


As I said, many of us are awake, so just…keep going! 

God’s grace is at work in your life, trust that, give thanks for that.


And, for some here, the truth is, 

you’re not only awake, you’re TOO awake!

You’re charged up on “spiritual caffeine.” You’ve got spiritual jitters.


That part before wasn’t for you! It was for the sleepy, OK?

You’re earnest, you’re intense, that’s good! 

And I’m not trying to discourage fervor.

What I want to say to you in particular:

Remember God’s grace. It’s not all on you. 

God’s part is 99.999999999%; our contribution is a speck.


You and I cooperate with grace, but we don’t replace it. 

And we certainly cannot earn it.


You don’t have to fast on crackers and water. 

If you want to, that’s fine, but your family doesn’t have to.


Remember: when you were baptized, you didn’t do a THING.

Even now, no matter how old you and I are, 

each of us is still that baby that really doesn’t understand. 

God carries us. And that’s how we’ll get to heaven.


And some of us, hearing that, you think, “OK I can go back to sleep!”

No…that was for the already awake, the maybe “too awake.”


For every one of us, this is our time to come back to font, 

to the place of our new birth, to our baptism.


1 comment:

rcg said...

I think this building to be a special Lent for me. Thank you for these homilies.