Sunday, November 06, 2022

Facing death without fear (Sunday homily)

 These readings confront us with two realities. 

First, that death is inevitable. 

Second, that we all, sooner or later, pay a price for what we believe in.


Such things seem so remote, most of the time; 

until a truck flips over on the highway just ahead, 

or a bolt of lightning strikes the top of your house, 

or someone you love gets desperately ill. Then it’s suddenly real. 


So, why not be ready? Have that peace!


Then there’s the other question: 

what would you or I be willing to die for? 


Parents will die for their children; 

most adults instinctively put ourselves between harm and a child. 


Those men and women who volunteer to wear our nation’s uniform 

certainly want to come back safe and sound; 

but they also realize that our country is worth fighting for. 

I don’t just mean the USA; 

it would be the same for a Canadian or a Cambodian. 


I suspect a growing number of people scoff at the idea 

of dying for religion, as the seven sons do in the first reading. 


Don’t make the mistake of thinking that was really about pork. 

The king picked that fight deliberately; 

because when someone sets out to break your will, 

choosing something trivial is a great place to start. 

But that’s not where it ends. 


There is no one way such confrontations play out. 

I will just say, in passing, that you and I are not obliged 

to seek out such battles, 

and it is not wrong to pursue honorable ways to avoid conflict. 


Yet, sooner or later, our backs are against the wall, 

figuratively or literally, and we must take a stand. 

If not at the cost of our lives, 

we may endure ridicule or lose a friendship. 

For some, especially in the medical profession today, 

it means losing ones job.


How do you and I fortify ourselves for such moments? 

We cannot do it without a close relationship with Jesus – 

all the martyrs bear witness that in their hour, Jesus was right there. 

And there is no substitute for making small, 

even insignificant choices day by day 

that gradually build up the bulwark of virtue. 


Back to the first question: how we prepare for death?


This may sound strange, but there is no reason 

for a Christian to be afraid of death. 

That is, no good reason. 

I mean: a bad reason would be, “I haven’t been to confession.” 

Bad, because that is so easily remedied. 



Another bad reason would be, “it’s too late” – 

because as long as you have breath, it is not too late. 


Let me say a word about what we call “Last Rites.” 

Many associate this with the sacrament of anointing, 

which is merely one part of Last Rites. 


Full Last Rites include confession and Holy Communion if possible, 

something called the “Apostolic Pardon,” 

which is a release from Purgatory, 

and other prayers fitting for our final hours. 

Last Rites are among the most beautiful and consoling of prayers, 

it’s too bad some folks wait and wait, till it’s too late. 


The anointing is not – repeat, NOT – meant for the last moment. 

Anyone facing a perilous health situation can be anointed. 

We have four priests, no waiting.


And Last Rites need not be delayed till the last minute either. 

I gave my father Last Rites three times.

It gave him peace; it was the best gift I could give him.


When the martyrs of Mexico faced firing squads, 

their last words were, “Viva, Christo Rey!” Long live Christ our King!


When each of us faces our final hours, in our way, 

you and I give the same powerful witness when we say:

Call the priest; pray the Rosary; nothing else matters so much 

as my first friend who calls me now: Jesus.


1 comment:

rcg said...

There is an interesting mental process to strive to care about the world but be detached from it. It is the same for understanding wealth. None of this is ours; it belongs to God who has placed it in my care. I need a succession plan in place that includes an assumption that I will eventually die. So if I manage that transition I am more free to focus on my earthly duties as assigned by my Lord.