Sunday, July 30, 2023

Jesus offers you treasure (Sunday homily)

(Today's homily is very brief, because a lay missionary from the Society of the Precious Blood spoke before Mass started.)


The twist in the story of Solomon is this:

God offered him the gift of wisdom,

Yet in the end, he ended up being guided by lust and vanity.

One of the Old Testament books attributed to Solomon 

contains the familiar words: “vanity of vanities, everything is vanity.”


If you and I aren’t careful, we can get cynical and say similar things. 

“They’re all crooks!” or, “It’s the same old thing, I’ve heard it before.”


When God became human, that was certainly not the same old thing.

And even though this Mass will be familiar – that’s what we expect – 

you and I might do well to check ourselves.

When I was a teenager, I was good at rolling my eyes, 

because even at 15, I’d seen it all before – or so I thought.


However the same it all seems, however familiar, 

there is a treasure here if you want it. 

Jesus is here for you. 


1 comment:

rcg said...

And yet we get upset when we realize that we have heard the warnings and advice so many times before. 😂