Sunday, January 21, 2007

Running all the time

For all those who may think Saturday is a day off for priests, think again. As it happens, Saturday is the best day for me to meet couples preparing for marriage; I am not free most weeknights, and they can't come during the work day. With confessions in the morning, I can usually meet two couples on a Saturday -- then I have to prepare for the vigil Mass.

This past Saturday followed that pattern, plus I had to wedge in a drive 30 miles north, to a retreat center where our 8th graders were on retreat preparing for confirmation. We had exposition and benediction for them. I got there just barely in time, I quickly briefed the server, and we had a holy hour. Then I had to fly back to the parish for 4 pm Mass.

After that, a baptism (with two parishes, I can only do baptisms on Sunday after the last Mass at St. Mary; so for folks at St. Boniface, we either do it during a Sunday Mass, or after the Saturday evening Mass.

After that, a party for the ushers at St. Mary; it was my idea, but I didn't do very much. Several of the ushers, with their wives, did all the work. My contribution was to bring some pop and beer. The reason for the party? Just to meet and get to know them. That got me back home around 10 pm.

This morning, up for 7 am Mass; then pick up doughnuts on the way to the 9 am Mass at the other parish; I needed doughnuts because I was meeting with some catechists -- again, a "get to know you" event -- after 9 am Mass. After that, I checked in with the parochial vicar, who hasn't been doing well (please pray for him), to see if he would still take Noon Mass; he said he could (and he did).

Back home around 11:30 am; after something to eat, I went out and shoveled my walk and my driveway; then a phone call to a man whose father died Friday; his funeral is Wednesday. I wanted to make sure all was in order; we'll talk Tuesday about the readings.

In a moment, I'm going to get my gear together and head to the airport to fly to D.C. for the March for Life. If the weather cooperates, I'll get into Baltimore around 7, into D.C. around 8. I have no idea where I'll concelebrate Mass tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll find out about something when I get there. After the march, I have a flight back tomorrow evening around 7:30 pm, if memory serves. Then back to the grind here on Tuesday -- although I'll probably take it easy then.


Anonymous said...

Have a safe flight, Father. And take the flight as an opportunity to close your eyes and catch up on some much needed rest!

Anonymous said...

Father I love the idea of the 'get togethers'; believe me the parishioners really appreciate them. What we have in my parish is an annual Mass of thanksgiving for everyone who helps out in the parish e.g. the ushers, EMHCs, members of the altar society etc followed by a supper.

Anonymous said...

The other priest,the one you call the parochial vicar, who has some chronic ailment, he does not seem like he is doing that great recently. How can he cope with the stress of the remodeling job in the rectory, plus all the plaster dust and mess floating in the air that he would be forced to breathe, the outgassing of new materials, plastics, glues, etc.? It's hard for even a healthy person to take - been there, done that. And I guess you know it too because you said you wouldn't be moving in yourself as soon as expected but would wait til spring now. Or maybe you changed your mind & decided to trade houses with him during the construction so he would be in a more restful and healthful environment. (I think that is probably what happened, as I cannot imagine you letting someone that sick be exposed to all that commotion and irritation. It almost sounds like that would qualify as some kind of a sin.) Hope you had a good trip, Father. It's good to remind people to respect life - at any age.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have any Deacons that can handle the pre-cana, the baptisms, the funerals, etc.?

Anonymous said...

I hope you travel safely to DC and I will pray for the March to bring the necessary recognition that the fight against abortion needs.

Please pray for safe travel for my 2 sons as well. They left Sunday Evening by bus to go to DC for the March with other boys from their school (Moeller HS) and will return sometime every early Tuesday on the bus (3am-5am).


Anonymous said...

I hope you had a good flight to our fair and slightly snowy state. It would be interesting to actually get to meet you in person on one of your visits out here.

Anonymous said...

regarding anonymous #1 and other similarly expressed comments that I hear all the time in the Church:

Don't people realize what they are doing to the Christ's Body when they waste time spreading slander and creating factions against good priests who have given their lives to do God's work?

Father, God bless you and all the others at the march.

Anonymous said...

Not exactly on topic, but as you are a pastor, why not ask.

Does your parish receive communion under both species?

Anonymous said...

To mara - how is showing concern about a priest described as ailing, creating dander and ire?
isn't he also "a good priest" "doing God's work"? Why is it wrong to have concern for his health, is he not a human being too? Which human beings or priests do you believe are most deserving of respect and concern?

Anonymous said...

Busy Busy Busy. Work Work Work.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Thanks for all the good wishes. I just returned from the airport.

To one of the anonymous posters: no, we don't have any deacons, but I have hopes.

To another of the anonymous posters: I am very glad our parochial vicar (which is the more proper title than the more common, "associate pastor") chose to come stay in St. Boniface's rectory (priest house) for the time being. It was his choice.

The reason I haven't moved into St. Mary's rectory is not primarily because of "plaster dust" or fumes, but because the room I will have is (a) occupied and (b) will be painted. So if I moved in now, I'd have to take another room, then move again; and I'd be that much more in the way of the painting to be done in both those rooms. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Our parochial vicar was already there, and he wanted to wait and see. He wanted to stay, because that's where his things are, his office, and that's where people know to call him. Moving is a pain, well or sick.

So it wasn't a matter of my "letting" him stay; I saw no reason to make him to move out. Lots of people have painting done, or a bathroom built, in their homes, and they don't vacate their homes as if they are uninhabitable. So it was up to him.

Anonymous said...

Looked for you in the news, Father, sad to say you were not interviewed. Hope you didn't get jet lag, that was a ton of activity in a very short time - maybe tomorrow can be a take it easy (and take a nap or two!) day for you. It sure would be good for your parish to have a deacon.
Yeah, people do stay in a house during remodeling. I think the point is, the other priest is not just anybody - he sounds like a very sick individual, and that makes a whole lot of difference. So glad he chose to relocate.